March 21st, 2007 by aswitzer
It’s official… the Nuggets are starting to gel.
With a timely five game win streak as a showcase, the Nuggets super-duo of Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson have finally started to consistently play together like the Nuggets ownership team hoped they could, and the rest of the guys – Camby, Nene, Blake, Najera, and Kleiza have found their roles playing alongside said duo.
I present five exhibits as proof of the Nuggets gellin’:
- Beat Sacramento 113-101 – in Sacramento! Coach Karl challenges them to start playing defense or sit after the loss in Detroit, and the Nuggets respond.
- Beat Portland 107-99 – Iverson carried the Nuggets on his small but mighty back with 31 points and 10 assists, but the defense was amazing, at least in first half, when they held Portland to just 37 points – a season low half for a Nuggets opponent.
- Beat Lakers 113-86 – defense on Kobe and his supporting cast was strong, and the unexpected career night for Linas Kleiza (who outcored Kobe!) was more than enough in this great home win.
- Pounded the mighty Suns 131-107 – this game was already over before the 4th quarter started, with the Nuggets holding a 40 point lead at one point. They were so amazing in this game it gives me chills! Iverson and Carmelo combined for their best one-two punch of the season – going 29-42 from the floor for 73 points as a tandem.
- Beat NJ 94-90 on the road – Finally, after 22 tries, the Nuggets have a win this season where they scored less than 100 points. How was that accomplished – defense yet again, holding the Nets to 40% shooting and out-rebounding them by 8 boards was huge. Combine that with Melo taking over the game in the 30 minutes he played, and this was yet another statement game.
There you have it. It started with better team defense, better individual defensive efforts, and sharing the ball – all the things that Karl has pretty much been harping about all season. The Nuggets will have more chances to add to these exhibits as they continue on a 5 game Eastern Conference road trip.
Leave a Reply